Thursday 12 April 2012

My first blog

Dear All

    Hopefully this is the first of many blogs I will write. I am hoping to use this as my main method of keeping everyone back home updated with the comings and going ons while I'm on my 'Gap yaahh' (please watch this video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKFjWR7X5dU).

    At the minute it looks like I will be heading to Guyana (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guyana) in South America for a year (yes I said Guyana not Ghana!!). In Guyana I will be teaching Maths and Science in a high school for a year, and hopefully exploring South America during my holidays!! I particularly fancy the idea of spending christmas on a Caribbean Island!! The organisation sending me away and hopefully bringing me home is called 'Project Trust' (http://www.projecttrust.org.uk/). It is a charity based on the Hebridean isle of Coll. They send around 250 teenagers around the world every year to do what they feel are genuinely good projects that help the community in the best possible way! I feel extremely privileged to be able to partake in this exciting year, an experience that will hopefully live with me for the rest of my life.


   One purpose of this blog is for me. I want to be able to read back and see what happened when, what I felt when, and to see how much I have changed by the end of it. Another purpose is for you. I want to be able to share with you my experiences, the good and bad as the year progresses.


   I just hope that the internet in Guyana will be in a fit enough state for blogging, you are warned! I just don't know if I will be able to blog all year round. :S


   However, I am way ahead of myself. I am not leaving for 5 months and I have the small task of raising £5100 before I leave. So far I have actually managed to raise about £4000! So not too far to go thankfully. To raise this I have had: a Night at the Races where I got £1500; a bun sale, £100; a pub quiz, £661; done a few car boot sales, roughly £300; had a party, £300 and had lots of other nice wee donations!! Ohhh and my sister had a pudding sale, I think that got just about a £100. I have been impressed so far with the generosity of everybody! It has been made so much easier getting this daunting figure by having such nice people around to help (mention also must go to my mum for helping!)


   A wee bit about myself. I am an 18 year old student in Northern Ireland studying at Friends' School Lisburn (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGMIzHDzEtI - I can be seen at 4:56 in the blue Judo suit). At A-levels I am studying Maths, Physics and Chemistry and hope to do Chemical Engineering at University once I return from South America. I enjoy sports, and compete in several different sports round Ireland, including: Water-skiing, hockey, judo and skiing. 

   Right now, however, I must concentrate on my A-levels. So I shall say bye for now! Expect my next blog to be after my training in early July, or when I hear more details about my project!

Me


My leaflet and some setting up at the Night at the Races

No comments:

Post a Comment